Crash on I-94 in Racine Co. kills 47-year-old woman, injures five others | News
A crash on southbound I-94 in Racine County kills a 47-year-old woman and injures five others. The victim is identified as Denise Thames of Gary, Indiana.
The Racine County Sheriff's Department tells FOX6 the accident started when a disabled vehicle was struck in the rear by another southbound vehicle. Thames was in the disabled vehicle, sitting in the third row of seats in the SUV, and ejected from the vehicle. She was not wearing a safety belt. Thames was pronounced dead at the scene.
The accident happened on the southbound lanes of I-94, between Highway K and Highway 20 shortly after 3 a.m. The sheriff's office asked for help from at least three other emergency units from Caledonia, Raymond and Union Grove.
Southbound lanes on I-94 were shut down for roughly three hours while the scene was examined and traffic was diverted off the interstate.
The accident remains under investigation by the Racine County Sheriff's Office and the Wisconsin State Patrol Reconstruction Unit.
Upcoming Events near Kenosha County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Racine police investigate recent Craigslist armed robberies
- ACLU trains folks in Racine on what to do if/when you’re pulled over
- Man connected to Burlington standoff reaches plea deal
- Mitchell Elementary students return to class in new school
- Mitchell students excited to start at Wind Point on Wednesday