Crash on I-94 in Racine Co. kills 47-year-old woman, injures five others | News
A crash on southbound I-94 in Racine County kills a 47-year-old woman and injures five others. The victim is identified as Denise Thames of Gary, Indiana.
The Racine County Sheriff's Department tells FOX6 the accident started when a disabled vehicle was struck in the rear by another southbound vehicle. Thames was in the disabled vehicle, sitting in the third row of seats in the SUV, and ejected from the vehicle. She was not wearing a safety belt. Thames was pronounced dead at the scene.
The accident happened on the southbound lanes of I-94, between Highway K and Highway 20 shortly after 3 a.m. The sheriff's office asked for help from at least three other emergency units from Caledonia, Raymond and Union Grove.
Southbound lanes on I-94 were shut down for roughly three hours while the scene was examined and traffic was diverted off the interstate.
The accident remains under investigation by the Racine County Sheriff's Office and the Wisconsin State Patrol Reconstruction Unit.
Upcoming Events near Kenosha County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Woman accused of mailing…what to a Racine Co. Jail inmate?
- For the first time, step inside S.C. Johnson’s research tower
- Bar owners “doing things they haven’t done before” after rash of armed robberies
- Smash & grab: Car break-in victims feel “violated”
- Sexual assault victim turns terror into motivation & helps victims everywhere
- Man from South Milwaukee bound and burned to death in Atlanta
- Volunteers deliver Easter care packages to homebound seniors
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was “nagging” him
- Drivers take note: 16-mile stretch of I-94 to be resurfaced
- Neighbors “heartbroken” elderly couple involved in murder/attempted suicide
- “What happened?” Owner of The Rock stunned by stadium plan rejection
- BOOTED: Mall security ends protest over bus stop
- BUSTED: Man arrested for road rage, charged with 9th OWI
- Franklin rejects plan to repay millions borrowed for proposed baseball stadium
- Man arrested for carrying handgun into Whitnall M.S.