Stolen Torah scrolls returned to Kenosha synagogue | Community Spirit
Two sacred Torah scrolls taken just days before Passover in 2008 were returned to a Kenosha synagogue this weekend.
The rabbi says the the Torah scrolls were dropped off in the middle of the night at the former home of a congregation member.
That person's previous address in Chicago was still listed on the synagogue's website, and the new residents of the home brought them back to Kenosha.
The scrolls were handwritten and considered the heart of the synagogue.
After the theft two years ago, community members donated money to have new ones made, which are just about complete. It takes a year for a scribe to write the text on the scrolls.
Top Kenosha Stories
Upcoming Events near Kenosha
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mom recognizes graffiti, turns in son as suspected vandal
- "Mike the Knight" and his friends will perform at Southridge Mall June 9th
- Forest Park M.S. sponsors Make-A-Wish Foundation wish for Greenfield child
- Greendale High School Junior achieves top ACT score
- Greendale High junior achieves top ACT score