Stolen Torah scrolls returned to Kenosha synagogue | Community Spirit
Two sacred Torah scrolls taken just days before Passover in 2008 were returned to a Kenosha synagogue this weekend.
The rabbi says the the Torah scrolls were dropped off in the middle of the night at the former home of a congregation member.
That person's previous address in Chicago was still listed on the synagogue's website, and the new residents of the home brought them back to Kenosha.
The scrolls were handwritten and considered the heart of the synagogue.
After the theft two years ago, community members donated money to have new ones made, which are just about complete. It takes a year for a scribe to write the text on the scrolls.
Upcoming Events near Kenosha County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Town of Burlington man accused of downloading child porn
- Eaton headed for trial, accused in 1997 death of Amber Creek
- Rudy the red-tailed hawk now has permanent home at Racine Zoo
- Man carried out of home on Taylor Ave. in Racine after fire breaks out
- Oklahoma trainee’s tip leads to arrest of James Eaton
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was “nagging” him
- Drivers take note: 16-mile stretch of I-94 to be resurfaced
- Neighbors “heartbroken” elderly couple involved in murder/attempted suicide
- Oak Creek arms teachers, staff with tools in case of shooting
- Cudahy man charged in standoff says he was mad his friend called police
- Franklin rejects plan to repay millions borrowed for proposed baseball stadium
- Man arrested for carrying handgun into Whitnall M.S.
- Police arrest man accused of carrying gun into Whitnall Middle School
- New to the market: “Baby Jack Blankets” for your children
- Fundraiser at Classic Lanes for families affected by Greenfield apartment fire