Stolen Torah scrolls returned to Kenosha synagogue | Community Spirit
Two sacred Torah scrolls taken just days before Passover in 2008 were returned to a Kenosha synagogue this weekend.
The rabbi says the the Torah scrolls were dropped off in the middle of the night at the former home of a congregation member.
That person's previous address in Chicago was still listed on the synagogue's website, and the new residents of the home brought them back to Kenosha.
The scrolls were handwritten and considered the heart of the synagogue.
After the theft two years ago, community members donated money to have new ones made, which are just about complete. It takes a year for a scribe to write the text on the scrolls.
Upcoming Events near Kenosha County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- For the first time, step inside S.C. Johnson’s research tower
- Bar owners “doing things they haven’t done before” after rash of armed robberies
- Smash & grab: Car break-in victims feel “violated”
- Sexual assault victim turns terror into motivation & helps victims everywhere
- One dead after early morning motorcycle crash in Racine County
- Man from South Milwaukee bound and burned to death in Atlanta
- Volunteers deliver Easter care packages to homebound seniors
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was “nagging” him
- Drivers take note: 16-mile stretch of I-94 to be resurfaced
- Neighbors “heartbroken” elderly couple involved in murder/attempted suicide
- “What happened?” Owner of The Rock stunned by stadium plan rejection
- BOOTED: Mall security ends protest over bus stop
- BUSTED: Man arrested for road rage, charged with 9th OWI
- Franklin rejects plan to repay millions borrowed for proposed baseball stadium
- Man arrested for carrying handgun into Whitnall M.S.