Stolen Torah scrolls returned to Kenosha synagogue | Community Spirit
Two sacred Torah scrolls taken just days before Passover in 2008 were returned to a Kenosha synagogue this weekend.
The rabbi says the the Torah scrolls were dropped off in the middle of the night at the former home of a congregation member.
That person's previous address in Chicago was still listed on the synagogue's website, and the new residents of the home brought them back to Kenosha.
The scrolls were handwritten and considered the heart of the synagogue.
After the theft two years ago, community members donated money to have new ones made, which are just about complete. It takes a year for a scribe to write the text on the scrolls.
Upcoming Events near Kenosha County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- ImPark to hire parking cashiers for work at Miller Park
- Fund established for five students impacted by fire in Greenfield
- Investigation seeks cause of devastating fire in Greenfield
- Investigators begin search for cause of apartment fire
- 15 families left homeless after Greenfield fire try to move forward